18 March 2010

Lewis on religion

Listening to God in the Dock and this particular bit was extremely interesting to me. Actually, who can not relate to this at some point in life?

The question was asked of Lewis: Which [religion] gives to its followers the greatest happiness?
Lewis: . . .While it lasts, the religion of worshiping oneself is the best.
I [know a man] who has lived a life of unbroken selfishness. . .and is, more or less, I regret to say, one of the happiest men I know. From the moral point of view it is very difficult! I am not approaching the question from that angle. As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity. . .


The world would certainly have us believe that happiness is the ultimate goal in life. Of course, Christians should know better. I do not think God wants us to be unhappy per se but I do believe that He gives us challenges in life that make us "unhappy" but grow our faith. I would like more faith any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment